I think that I have been a victim of "I-used-to-be-in-great-shape-so-I-see-myself-as-still-in-shape" -itis for about two years now. I'm not positive that this is a common disease, but I'm pretty sure it is. I'm also pretty sure it is called something else.
I subconsciously self-diagnosed myself months ago, but reality hit me when I signed up to run a 5K with my brother, Kyle, over the summer without training before hand. I don't know what kind of superpower I thought I had, but 5K seemed like such a wimpy distance, I wasn't too concerned. Running up and down the stairs to my second floor apartment a few times a day would suffice for training. I'd ask my brother if he'd been training over the phone while munching on a few chips and he would tell me he had been here and there but nothing too serious. Great! He wasn't overly committed either. I'd be fine.
About ten minutes into the race my breathing started to resemble an offspring of Darth Vader and two days after my limbs still hurt. A 5K?! Come on, Kelly, get it together! Kyle naturally ranked in his age group. I happily accepted the finishers t-shirt (no need to communicate the time difference here).
At that point, I made a solid commitment to get myself back into shape. Fast forward about 7 months. Progress? Medial. Okay, progress sucked. I got a new job, moved 20 hours away from home, and suddenly felt like many moments of my day were taken up. Then I realized, I didn't have kids, I didn't have personal or family hardships to deal with, I was pretty healthy, I didn't even have a boyfriend at that point to mess around with ... I could make time. So I started working out more regularly again, but not so much that I really saw progress. Elliptical while watching TV, run around the block a few times, a couple bouts of tennis with some friends ... casual exercise. I then started running regularly again and was doing pretty well until my hip started acting up. I decided I needed to change my routine.
Go ahead and tell me you haven't seen the infomercial. The one with all of these seemingly normal people suddenly transforming into Rocky in 90 days. The first time I saw it I thought it was a scam.
But I would like to say thank you to Michelle R., mother of 7, triple-time viewer of the P90x infomercial. I joined you, Michelle, in your infomercial viewing and by the third time, I decided that I too should buy it. Not to mention all the people that praise the program online. I have decided that people as a whole are generally pretty pessimistic these days. However, if something out there that can "get you absolutely ripped in 90 days!" (I'm still a little pessimistic - don't be offended by the touch of sarcasm), then Tony baby, I'm all in!
So, barking dog at my heels, Visa in hand, I purchased my way into the badass beach club. My box came in a couple days ago and I’m going to start the program on Tuesday, October 12, 2010. I like to write so I thought I would write a blog not only to demonstrate my progress, but keep me in check. I think the hardest part is going to be the diet, but I am committing to you (my non-existent followers), that I will give this program a try. After all, I did pay almost 300 big ones (they tricked me into getting the pull up bar and bands ... and Creatine looking drink) when I could have just grabbed a bootleg version from one of my friends. In the interest of lawfulness and in an era where money is not a commodity, this, my new friends, is a commitment.
Bring on Day 90.
Look at that! My name and everything. See Beachbody, I did order from you :)
My freezer prior to being P90x-ified. Not too bad minus the two batches of ice cream and water bottle filled with vodka.
No comments:
Post a Comment