Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Taking a Step Back

In my first post, I anticipated that I would start the P90X program on Tuesday.  Well, it's Wednesday and I still have not officially started the program for a couple of reasons, the first of which is that I'm lazy.  Okay, I'm kidding (I think).  Here are the big four (Final Four?):

1. I want to make sure I do the program correctly
I can hear you, my three friends, muttering "well don't we all."  Well, I hope so.  Turns out there is a lot more to P90X than opening the package and starting. One would probably assume this, but I thought I would just get it and start.  The first thing that tripped me up was the diet program.  As I mentioned the other day, I did a clean sweep on my kitchen but don't yet have the items I need to start my nutrition plan.  Since the nutrition plan and the workouts go hand-and-hand, I didn't want to start one without the other.  I mean, I might collapse or something.  Today I made my grocery list for the first week of the program and tried to brainstorm what I could do with the other half of a mango when my meal plan only calls for one half.  Can dogs eat fruit?

2. I hadn't signed up for all the extra stuff
I'm telling you, if you want to be overwhelmed with information and impulse purchases, Beachbody has configured a way to tempt you.  One of the support programs that I signed up for today is on milliondollarbody.com.  It's free (you can get the upgraded version for $2.99 a week) and you have access to things like message boards, newsletters, workout buddies, and my personal favorite: access to WOWY SuperGym, where you can schedule your workouts, track your progress, and be eligible to win cash and prizes up to $1,000 a day! Now that is what I am talking about.  I still have to figure out if I need to be an upgraded member to get some of the prizes ... more on that later.

3. I didn't do the warm-up stuff
Tony suggests that you watch the Bring It On! video and do the lower intensity workouts on that DVD to make sure you are "qualified" so-to-speak to start P90X.  I wasn't sure I needed to do this but what the heck, why not?!  So while I worked on getting my routine and everything else in order, I started by doing these low intensity workouts.  And, they worked out pretty well.  Play on words intended.

4. I hadn't taken my pictures!
This is the best part, right?  To check out people when they're overweight, out of shape, feeling like poop.  I won't lie; it's one of my favorite parts too.  But the best part, seeing the people weeks later when they are "absolutely ripped in 90 days!" (Sorry, I'll stop doing that soon).  But seriously though, it's cool to see a person's transformation ... I'm assuming it's even better when that person is you.  So, even though I'm not thrilled about it, I took some pictures today of myself (sigh).  Like Tony says, this is a goodbye photo to my old self.  So long suckers! 

Once again, bring on Day 90.



I have more of these, but for one, I don't even know how to flex my arms so they are at the same level, and two, I think it would be unnecessary to subject you to any more pictures of this sort.  If you really feel like you need to see the front, back, side and awkward half-side-flex photo, we'll negotiate that at a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment